Wesley, Rebecca, Mahlon and Sara Beth

Making memories TWO at a time!



Saturday, August 1, 2009

Our First Birthday!

Thursday July 30th was Mahlon and Sara Beth's 1st Birthday! I can't believe how quickly one year has gone by! We had a wild/not fun day so I thought I would share it with you! First thing Sara Beth had a fall and knocked a big goose egg on her head(after being awake for an hour). Bless her heart she had tears for days! Then we all headed for our one year check-up and shots. I know this is a cruel thing to do on your birthday, but that was when it was scheduled...note to self---don't get shots on your childs birthday and don't do it first thing in the morning, it makes for a rough day!
We got a great report at the doctor. Mahlon is 34 inches tall(he has started his own curve on the growth chart over the 100th percentile...more than at 9 months) He weighs 27lbs and 12oz (97%) Just to compare Wesley was 34 inches and 28lbs 12 oz 2 weeks shy of his 1st birthday.
Sara Beth is 30.5 inches tall(90%) and 23lbs 3oz(90%)...when I was one I weighed 24lbs 4oz and was 30 inches tall. Amazing how close we were in size.
Since we spent the morning at the doctor the babies got down late for their nap, ate lunch later than usual(I keep a VERY strict schedule and when we are off ain't nobody happy!!) and those shots made them feel terrible. This put a damper on my day:(
Those of you that know me well know that I LOVE birthdays and think everyone should at least have a birthday week if not a full month! So of course I have been looking forward to the double days 1st birthday for weeks! We planned a party for Saturday for friends and family from out of town, and Thursday was going to be mine and Wesley's day with the babies(in between working and doctors appt!)
Anyway, since our whole day was off I was bummed, but I was determined to get back on track. After they woke up from their afternoon nap I was ready to sing Happy Birthday and eat cake(really 2 gianormous cupcakes from Fresh Market)We stripped the babies down to their diapers, rolled them outside in their highchairs, got the candles lit and after singing Happy Birthday a huge gush of wind blows out the candles and a monsoon arrives!! We rushed the babies back inside and waited to see what they thought about eating something that sweet for the first time. In the meantime I look at the rain outside and see my camera get soaked! The next few pics are a little blurry from a wet camera!
Mahlon loved it...blue icing covered his entire body!
Sara Beth hated it...she is not my child, I have the biggest sweet tooth ever!
So I was hoping to have this wonderful cake smashing event, not so much. This was good practice though before the party on Saturday.
Then on to the gift opening. They loved tearing the paper off the boxes...yeah I was so excited because I love presents!


This was one of the gifts from us...they would rather climb on it and sit on top, but one day they'll figure out they are supposed to sit at the table.

They rest of our day was a little rough. They spiked a fever and were quite crabby, but you only turn one once right! It was a busy day with many highs and lows...we are truly blessed to have such bundles of joy in our life!

0 comments: